Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tests and Questions: Part 1

This is not an actual post: Just a list of tests I plan to do with the MagicJack:

1. Latency: I read that a good way to test latency is to have the person on the phone count to 10 with you.

2. Sleep Mode: Will the Mac awake from sleep when an incoming call arrives?

3. CPU Usage: I'll look to see how much of the CPU is taxed when the MagicJack is idle and when it's in use.

4. After Day 30: One of my nagging worries is that for your free trial, they link you to "new" servers with little congestion. The voice quality and performance are great, and you get hooked. Then after Day 30, they link you to the "regular" servers with more congestion and less reliable service. (I have to stress that I have seen absolutely no evidence that this actually occurs -- it's just worrysome speculation on my part.) Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with VOIP in general, so my only point of comparison will be to my current land line.

Any other things you want me to check on? Send me an email. Otherwise, I'll see you again once the MagicJack arrives in the mail.

No comments: