Monday, December 22, 2008

MagicJack Review: Caller ID Issue Wrap-Up

I took one more run at customer support about the caller ID issue on the Mac (the issue of it not showing up on phones but fine on the computer softphone).

I got the impression that they didn't know much about whether it was a Mac-specific issue, so they didn't know if any future update would fix it. However, they were aware that may phones seem to exhibit this problem, and claim to be working on a fix.

When I asked them whether they could give the names of any phones or phone brands that do work with the Mac that do show caller ID on the phone, they could not supply any. So I think I'm at a dead end here for now.

Just to wrap up:
1. Having a powered USB hub didn't help me
2. Trying the "100K resistor" phone trick didn't help me 
3. Reformatting the MagicJack drive didn't help me
4. Trying a different cordless phone (Uniden to AT&T) didn't help me

[ - ] To wrap up, I think it's safe to say that unless a software fix is made, caller ID to your phone does not work at all if you're using the Mac version of MagicJack.

No comments: