Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 1: Taking the Plunge

The first I heard of MagicJack was a coupon-section ad in the Chicago Tribune today. I currently pay more than $40 a month on my home phone bill, so the idea of paying $40 a year for phone service definitely got my attention.

I had looked into Vonage earlier this year, but the price differential wasn't enough for me to switch. Plus, I didn't want to buy Vonage-compatible hardware in case I didn't like the service.

To be honest, the ad seemed too good to be true, and I might have ignored it until I saw the offer for a "100% risk-free 30-day trial." That reeled me in: Worst-case scenario was that the service sucked, and I'd return it to get my money back. So I went to their web site and signed up for a free trial. More on that in the next post...

No comments: