Sunday, December 14, 2008

MagicJack Review: Mac Issues

Here are some issues I've had using MagicJack on a Mac:

[ - ] It does not work well waking up from sleep mode. One of the things I wanted to know is if the MagicJack would make the Mac "wake from sleep" when a phone call arrives. Well, I quickly learned that would not occur. When I manually put the Mac to sleep, the MagicJack triggered a kernel panic upon waking up, and I had to reboot.

[ - ] Upon restart, the MagicJack does not start up automatically like other USB devices connected to my Mac; the application icon needs to be clicked on to start making calls. Ideally, it would be nice if the MagicJack was a startup item, so that it would connect instantly upon restart.

These issues aren't too big of a deal since my Mac is usually on most of the time; still, it would be nice to have it sleep to save a little energy.

As a side note, I would really love to be a beta tester; I'd love to find a way to get that caller ID issue fixed and make this device truly Mac friendly.

No comments: