Saturday, December 13, 2008

MagicJack Review: My Phone Number



Obviously, before making calls you need a phone number.

[ + ] It's pretty cool to be able to choose your own state and area code.

However, in my case I wanted a local number because I wanted to replace my land line.

[ - ] Unfortunately, although numbers in my area code were available, the town I lived in was not available. Instead, I had to get a community prefix from a neighboring town. In this era of cell phones (for instance, my cell phone is actually in a different area code), it probably isn't a big deal, but it would've been nice to get a number that truly reflects where I live.

One thing that remains unclear: How your choice of phone number affects the rates others have to pay to call you. My gut is that the rate people pay to call you is indeed based on the area code you chose -- not your actual physical location. (It would be nice to get verification on this, though.)

[ + ] You can change your phone number once for free. Since you can do this online, it seems to be a very convienient option if you're moving to a different state but want to keep using your MagicJack. However, it will cost you $10 for each additional change you want to make.

No comments: