Sunday, December 7, 2008

About this Mac

Well, I should give you the specs of my "testing" Mac:

* Intel Mac Pro Quad-Core
* Leopard 10.5.5
* 5 GB RAM
* Comcast Broadband Internet (basic)
* D-Link DI-524 router (however, I have a fully wired ethernet connection)

Given these specs, my Mac is definitely qualified for VOIP via MagicJack. I read that VOIP in general only takes up 32Kbps to 64Kbps of bandwidth, but we'll see.

(As a side note, I wonder how many of the "bad" MagicJack reviews come from people trying it over a wireless connection, especially G and/or B. My iBook wireless drops out all the time due to interference from other networks and/or weak signal. I would never expect my network to provide a solid connection.)

So although I have yet to try out MagicJack, I really think a wired ethernet connection to your router is the only way to expect reliable phone service without audio drop-outs. We'll see soon enough...

No comments: