Thursday, January 1, 2009

MagicJack Review: Activity Monitor

On request from a blog reader, I did a "spot check" of how much the MagicJack app taxes the CPU via the Activity Monitor utility. (I wasn't planning to because a multicore Mac Pro probably isn't the machine most Mac users will use MagicJack with -- but perhaps the numbers will serve as a useful point of reference.)

When idle, the MagicJack app uses between 4-9% CPU. That number bounces around a lot, and I don't see it as a significant drain on resources. When the phone is in use, that number jumps to 10-20% CPU. Again, that number bounces around a lot.

I've never had the MagicJack cause a slowdown on my Mac. (Then again, I've never seen a slowdown on my Mac except when the hard drives are idle.)

[ + ] So to sum up, your results may vary, but in my view MagicJack hardly seems to be a CPU hog.

No comments: